Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 115 - Been There, Felt That

Date: 10/23/12
Location: Costa de Oro, Costa Rica

Word of the day: albóndiga - meatball
Turtle Fact: dead turtle skin is very tough... much more than humans

Wake up 4am. Roll out of the hammock, gather my patrol material, the bike and head out to the beach. While carrying the bike off the back porch and onto the grass, I trip and and somehow magically get the kickstand wedged between by 3rd and 4th toe. At this point in time I am screaming at the top of lungs and no noise is exiting my mouth. The kickstand somehow was able penetrate my close-toed sandals and ended twisted my toes around in such a fashion that I thought I had broken them, or actual punctured them with the kickstand. It hurt that bad. Hopping on one foot, trying to pick up my flash light , I try moving my bike and foot in different combinations in hopes to get my footloose. After almost 3 mins and twice contemplating yelling to the sleeping girls in the house for help, I get myself loose. Taking another couple minutes to recoup, I "man up" check out the toes and go on patrol.

I ride the bike both north and south. Nada. Once back at the house I prepare breakfast (chocolate flavored pancakes) and update HT while I wait for the ladies to awake from their slumber only to start making large turtle shaped pancakes.

Having little sleep the past week and new, washed bed sheets I decide to take this opportunity to take a morning siesta. Napping longer than expected (1pm) I head the kitchen to catch up on life. After consuming a delicious cheesy quesadilla (made from my secret stash of cheese) I decide to take more siesta, but this time on the beach with new blanket! Courtney had surprised both Kayla and I with homemade blankets. Granted these were very thin and; unique in patterns it made an excellent beach blanket.

An hour later I find myself nervously tossing as I fear I am wasting the day away - but it feel so good to nap! So I get my sweat on, filling some hatchery holes and picking up a little in the backyard before the rain set in. By this time, I head in side where the girls are just about to start making dinner. one if the German volunteers had informed us that her father was from Italy and she know how to make meatballs. So we tasked her to make them as Kayla quickly made some french rolls as well. Just as we are about to eat (6:42pm) I feel a small earthquake...

Noticing the small shaking did not stop and the girls in the kitchen continuing preparing the dinner without noticing what was happening ' the shakes became much great and was now felt by all. I start commanding them to get outside ( via the front door) and wee stand in an open area of the lawn. As stand there shaking, I give ether play by okay action of what is to happen next; find your passport, grab your shoes - none sandals, put on some long sleeved clothing, and let's walk tot he bus stop. Knowing what to expect and having the recited thus in my head from our previous experience these directions flow off the tongue.

The shaking only lasted maybe 20 seconds in which I was talking the whole time. In hindsight I wish I would have shut up so I could have enjoyed nature's awesome display of power and really taken in the feeling. Regardless all the girls acted very calmly and did not seem very scarred. Kayla being from Cali,  she seemed the most at ease and like me was pissed we are not eating dinner at the current moment. As for the Germans (Julia and Shantal) they did have a little fear behind their eyes, but once they saw that  we were not panicking, you could tell they became more comfortable with the situation.

We were out of the house in under 5mins. Gathering our belongings, changing into clothing that will defend us from the mosquitos, turning off our kitchen appliances and of course straining the noodles so there were not soggy when we got back, we head out the door. We stop by the neighbors house on the way to make sure they were OK and perhaps join them in their automobile to evacuate the surround coast. However they were not home, so we continued down the road and headed to the bus stop, where previously had been determined to be a safe distance from the beach and meeting place.

Once at the bus stop, we use the cell phone that Courtney left at the house for us (in case of emergencies like this) and try to contact any one we could in hopes to find out how severe this earthquake was and if there was in fact tidal warning, which right now is our only threat other than being eaten alive by mosquitos. About an hour later after exchanging several txt messages and getting hold the appropriate people we learn that all is good; there is no warnings. We walk back to the house and instantly pick up were we left off with preparing our dinner. No matter how this meal actually tasted before the quake, I am sure it will taste SOOO good now. However in all truthfulness it was quite tasty - good job Germans!

We were supposed to patrol and sleep in the hatchery tonight, but under the suggestion of Lotti (boss lady) she advised we all stick together and not patrol - fine by me. MORE SLEEP!

Lesson: Be prepared. (Boy Scouts Moto)

Food: Meatballs. Comparable to the greek meatballs Yiayia makes in Detroit, these have that sweat, savvory and lemony taste off goodness in every bite.

Animals: Crabs, Dogs, Birds, Mosquitoes

Something I am thankful for: Siesta
Something I don't want to admit: I was really excited not to sleep in the hatchery. However saddened that the hatchery was unprotected from stray dogs last night, I put a lit candle in the hatchery. However I am sure the flame did not last long as it rained several hours later. With that said, I was thinking about playing music on my phone and setting it in the hammock over night... however I thought that would not be the best idea.

Total Nest I have saved:  41
Total Nests Poached on my Patrol: 44
Total Turtle Eggs I saved: 4732
Total Baby Turtles I Released: 955
Days of Rain: 74/111

No comments:

Post a Comment