Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 68 - Clean Up

Date: 9/6/12
Location: Costa de Oro, Costa Rica

Word of the day: Limpie - Clean Up

6am I finally get up for good. Needless to say I did not get much sleep last night, but why should that differ from any other night in the last month. However, not sleeping due to nerves is slightly different than not sleeping due to over active brain energy. I walk over from the guest house to Wendy's house to see if anyone is awake. It appears everyone is still sleeping as I see no one out and about. I begin cleaning the kitchen from the previous day's munching, knowing that soon enough we would be making breakfast. 20mins later I see Wendy walking up from the beach, surfboard in hand. Clearly she was up early to catch a couple waves. She mentions that the ocean feels funny (as there was many creatures out and about; stingrays, turtles, large fish, minows) and something was just not right...

At this point I gain access to the internet and let the rest of the world know that I am OK. Seeing all the posts my mother had made regarding updates in Costa Rica and not hearing from me, you would have thought that she was in marketing herself once upon a time - very efficient, informative and repetitive. However this was just the work of a worried mother. Not to mention all messages from close friends and acquaintances. Like I said before, it's a great feeling to know your loved, but it's selfishly better when you see it. Thanks ya'll for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. It worked. The power of positive thinking wins again.

By now almost everyone else is up. We begin working on breakfast (scrambled bake with bacon and CHEESE). We enjoy a great meal and fill our stomachs with comfort. I get right to work uploading my experience (pictures and recap) of the preceding days' events. So much to write about, so much to say. I need to make sure I am accurate in my descriptions but still capture the attitude and feelings of 24 hours ago. How do you sum up a day like that?

(p.s. as I just wrote this last paragraph, there was definitely another quake that just happened - freaky. Small lasted maybe 5 secs, but still pretty forceful. 6:02am 9/8/12)

I take some time to recap and make my updates. However, to start moving on and getting back to "normal life" I head back to the Costa de Oro house for some cleaning. Matt had just gone previously to straighten up and mop of the milk spill that occurred the day before. Now leaving a "lovely" distinct odor in the house/kitchen, we will be sure to mop this a couple times. I take advantage of the fridge being baron and wipe it down clean. I proceed to disinfect the counter tops, and other appliances that may have fallen, or had shattered glass near it. After a couple hours I head back to Wendy's house to check in with the rest of the folks.

At the house, we end up deciding that we will move back into our house as the electricity in back on (and seems stable) and so we can jump start our daily routine. I head to the beach for final surveillance of any damages and geographic changes I might notice in the landscape. Nada. Just some fissures here and there, but not too much else. I think the most property damage most people had around here (including us) was some terracotta roofing falling off (which will now be used for future projects). A couple things I did find on the beach was 2 poached nests from the night before... I suppose the poachers didn't take a night off. Hardcore. But then again, pretty smart knowing that other food sources may not be operating for a couple days...

Once back at the house I start the process of packing up and cleaning up the area we lived in for the past 24 hours. Before you know it's dusk and we all go to the beach for glorious sunset. So calming.

Dinner. We make pasta and great salad, with some of Wendy's home-maid (healthy) salad dressing. Oh how the Magic Bullet Blender can make things taste so good.

Right before patrol I drop the majority of our communal supplies (we brought to Wendy's), along with my belongings back to our house. From there I head out on patrol, solo, on the bike. I find nothing on the beach except a dead turtle. 

Back at the house we ready for bed. In doing so, we all make sure to pack a "grab'n'go" bag just in case there happens to be another. In fact, some sources are actually planning on it. They say that they were actually expecting this fault line to quake, but they did not know when. But when it did release pressure, they thought it would have released more as it certainly had the potential to do so. We will see. Sleep.

  • It's good to reflect, but it's even better to move on. 
  • People appreciate the smaller gestures, when they are unpronounced. 

Food: Pasta with slightly sauteed garlic and Parmesan Cheese accompanied by a wet tossed salad with all sorts of goodness of saturated veggies.

Animals: Dogs, Beetles, Crabs, Lizards, Flies

Something I am thankful for: People caring about thinking about me.
Something I don't want to admit: Upon recapping the day's events, I selfishly wish there was an instance where I could have helped save some lives. Of coarse that what everyone else was expecting too... Well there is always next time. However I am far more thankful that no one got hurt and this quake really had a minimal impact for the magnitude it was.

Total Nest I have saved: 25
Total Nests Poached on my Patrol:19
Total Turtle Eggs I saved: 3,089
Total Baby Turtles I Released: 40
Days of Rain: 43/64

No comments:

Post a Comment